About The Book.
Ulrich’s spark of inspiration for this book came about by visiting his mother in the nursing home where he eventually began a reading group for the elderly residents. Among the works he read to the group were the “Chicken Soup for the Soul” series, Mark Twain, and other attention-grabbing short stories, bringing charm, entertainment, physical assistance, and encouragement to a small audience who averaged 83 years of age. His visits became the most anticipated event on the nursing home’s calendar. Ulrich not only read stories to the group, he encouraged them to open their hearts and share their own personal stories – which he discovered were extraordinary and needed to be told.
Loneliness and depression is a severe epidemic in America – especially among the elderly. According to an article in Time Magazine, the subjective feeling of loneliness increases risk of death by 26%. Loneliness is the next big public health issue and this statistic has doubled in the past ten years! This book could be the antidote.
After interviewing many people worldwide, both young and old, Ulrich has discovered that if you haven’t had your life’s most defining moment – it’s still ahead! Ulrich’s own special moment happened when he started volunteering in a nursing home. He has seen first-hand how reading to and exchanging stories with the elderly can enhance health, happiness, and longevity. In this series Kellerer reveals how other people can find THEIR special role in helping others, making a difference, and savoring special moments that will be remembered for a lifetime.
This incredible collection of stories proves it’s not what happens to you, it’s how you deal with it.
Why You Need This Book.
So many self-help books are either too clinical, too fluffy, overly dramatic and unrealistic, or boring. This book grabs you from the very first page by telling real stories from real people and showing just how extraordinary “average” can be. It’s a quick read that can be devoured cover-to-cover or one story at a time. Regardless of how you take it in, this book will show you:
- Happiness comes from a person’s reaction – It’s not what happens to you, it’s how you deal with it.
- How to make the most of those life-changing moments that affect your future.
- The value of “story-sharing” and how we have almost lost this wonderful art in an age of hurried emails, tweets, and texts.
- How to reconnect with our elderly whose wisdom and vision can help us live much better lives.
- Why volunteering, contributing to the community and helping others (even strangers!) can improve your marriage, career, health, or bank account.
- To find your purpose in life so you can live longer and make a more positive impact on the world.